Monday, May 12, 2008

What's all this then?

So this is my blog.

I suppose the first question that begs an answer is 'why do you need a blog?'
Basically I started this blog as a way to chronicle my co-op term up here in Elkford working for Elk Valley Coal, but I'd like to take it further than that, both in terms of keeping it going once this work term is over, as well as what I plan (using the term loosely) to write about.

This brings me to the second question at the tip of everyone's tongues (fingers?) 'what's with the name?'
The name is from a Carl Sagan quote:

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true. We have a method, and that method helps us to reach not absolute truth, only asymptotic approaches to the truth — never there, just closer and closer, always finding vast new oceans of undiscovered possibilities."

Basically I kind of like this whole idea of asymptotic approaches to absolutes, whether is be absolute truth, wisdom, happiness or sobriety. Essentially, in my opinion, the world deals too much in absolutes - in black and white if you will - when nothing ever really has clear boundaries. What I'm saying is life is just series of asymptotic approaches to different absolutes, never clearly defined, and always complex in nature. As this will hopefully be a blog about all my experiences, reflections, philosophizing and thoughts in general, I thought the name was pretty apt, while also being a decent alliteration (or assonance if your gonna get all literary in my grill).

Constructivism played a role as well...but I think I'll save that post for another day.

Also, as an engineer(ing student), so I was kinda bound to choose a title like this.

No comments: